AICPA Scholarship Award for Minority Accounting Students
Amount: $3,000 - $5,000
Sponsor: American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA).
Open Date: Dec 01, 2018
Close Date: Mar 01, 2019
Close Time: 3 p.m.
The AICPA Scholarship Award for Minority Accounting Students is part of the AICPA Legacy Scholars program that provides financial assistance to outstanding minority students to encourage their pursuit of accounting as a major and their ultimate entry into the profession. All applications must be completed and submitted by the deadline to be considered. Students interested in being considered for more than one AICPA Legacy Scholarship award need only complete one application—applicants will be evaluated for all awards for which they are eligible.
Scholarship aid may be used only for the payment of expenses that directly relate to obtaining an accounting education (e.g.; tuition, fees, room and board, and/or books and materials). Awards are renewable; however, renewals are neither automatic nor guaranteed. Students who wish to renew their scholarship award must reapply the following year. Payments are sent directly to the student's financial aid office on behalf of the student.
The AICPA Minority Scholarship was created in 1969 with the purpose of increasing the representation of ethnically diverse CPA professionals. For more than four decades, this program has provided over $14.6 million in scholarships to over 8,000 accounting scholars.
An eligible applicant must be/have:
- An ethnic minority in the accounting profession (including but not limited to: Black or African American; Hispanic or Latino; Native American; Pacific Islander; or Asian American).
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate-level degree in an accounting or accounting-related major. (Accounting-related shall be as determined by Sponsors in Sponsors’ sole discretion.).
- Planning to pursue the CPA licensure but not presently be a CPA.
- Attending a public or private, not-for-profit (501(c)) four-year college or university in the U.S. or territories for the full 2019-20 academic year.
- Enrolled in a business and/or accounting program that is accredited by the AACSB and/or ACBSP for the full 2019-20 academic year.
- Completed at least 30 semester hours (or equivalent) of college coursework, including at least 6 semester hours (or equivalent) in accounting, by end of spring 2019.
- Maintaining an overall and major GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate (12 semester hours or equivalent) or a full-time graduate level student (9 semester hours or equivalent) for the 2019-20 academic year (Note: an exception may be granted if you plan to participate in an internship).
- An AICPA Student Affiliate member (or have submitted a new member application). Apply online at no cost: https://thiswaytocpa.com/join-aicpa/.
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder).
- Some financial need (i.e., not receiving a full or partial scholarship(s) and/or grant(s) that cover and/or exceed one’s educational expenses).
- Planning to participate in the AICPA Legacy Scholars program for the full 2019-20 academic year
Note: The Association staff and their family members are not eligible to receive this scholarship.