Sponsor: NABA Eastern Region
Open Date: Feb 06, 2017
Close Date: Jul 14, 2017
Since inception, the National Association of Black Accountants, Inc. (NABA) has provided millions in scholarship funds to deserving students. Through the generous contributions of individuals, groups, and organizations that share NABA's desire to break through the economic barriers African-American (Black) or an individuals of African descent often experience, NABA has offered scholarships on a national, regional and local level.
NABA Eastern Region Scholarship applications will be accepted in their entirety if completed online by 11:59PM on Friday, July 14, 2017. Transcripts must be postmarked Friday, July 14, 2017 to be accepted. Recipients are required to attend the Eastern Region Student Conference (ERSC) October 5 – 7, 2017 in Norfolk, VA. In addition, all recipients must attend the Scholars Reception and Luncheon during the 2017 ERSC. Actual cash awards will be made immediately following the luncheon. CPA Review courses are non-cash awards and will be presented by November 2017.
- NABA Eastern Region Scholarships
- CPA Review Scholarships
- Corporate Partner Scholarship
A NABA Eastern Region Student Scholarship Application must be completed via the Eastern Region online portal. Please type your responses in each field, including "N/A" for items that are not applicable to you. The application MUST be completed in its entirety online. The following items must be submitted as prescribed below:
- An essay of a minimum of 500 words (maximum 750).
- An OFFICIAL current Academic Transcript (at least through Spring 2017 semester/quarter). You must request that your University's registrar forward the transcript to the application submission address which is listed below. Only transcripts sealed by your University's registrar will be accepted. We will not accept copies or other unofficial transcripts. Most schools assess a nominal service charge to send official transcripts, which will remain the applicant's responsibility.
- An UNOFFICIAL current Academic Transcript (at least through Spring 2017 semester/quarter) should be UPLOADED.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter should be from a member of the accounting/business faculty at your University or a current/former employer. The second letter is OPTIONAL and should be from a NABA professional (this member cannot be related to you). Applicants must request both recommenders to submit letters directly via the online portal prior to the deadline. Letters submitted by students will not be accepted. Each recommender should provide a letter with a hand-written signature. Note: Only applicants that submit both letters will be considered for the NABA Eastern Region Scholarship. The submission of one letter is needed to meet the requirements of the Corporate Sponsor Scholarships and CPA Review Scholarships.
- An updated resume. At a minimum, resumes should include: education history, detailed work experience, extracurricular activities (including NABA involvement), and awards/accomplishments. Applicants should provide dates for all items included in the resume.
- A short bio. Please provide a brief personal biography/introduction that includes academic achievements and involvement in NABA as well as why you should be selected to receive the scholarship.
- Applicants who are not US citizens should be prepared to provide a copy of their permanent resident visa, if requested.
All materials above must be submitted via the online portal by Friday, July 14, 2017 for your application to be considered. OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT should be postmarked by Friday, July 14, 2017 and MAILED to:
- National Association of Black Accountants, Inc. - Eastern Region
c/o Ashlei Pope / KPMG LLP
1801 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
It is your responsibility to ensure that your registrar has enough time to get the required items to you or NABA. We can only accept original transcripts. Faxed materials will not be accepted. NABA is not responsible for items lost or improperly handled by the mail carrier services. We will send confirmation emails within a week of receipt. Please plan carefully so that your application receives the consideration it deserves. Questions should be directed to Ashlei Pope, ERSC Scholarship Committee Chair, via email - email@example.com.
- Be of African-American (Black) or of African descent.
- Be an ACTIVE NABA student member, whose membership dues have been received by NABA's National Office no later than September 8, 2017. Dues are $35.00 for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Be registered for the 2017 Eastern Region Student Conference by September 8, 2017.
- Attend the entire NABA Eastern Region Student Conference in 2017 including the Scholars Reception and Scholarship Luncheon in order to receive funding unless prior written authorization is received from the NABA Eastern Region Student Conference Scholarship Chair.
- Be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university with a minimum of six (6) completed semester hours (or equivalent) of accounting or business credits towards your undergraduate freshman, sophomore, junior, or first-year senior accounting, finance, or business major. Graduating seniors and graduate students may apply for the CPA Review Scholarship only.
- Provide a complete application package by the deadline.
- Meet the minimum overall grade point average requirement of 3.0. Please provide a conversion of your grades to the "4.0 grading scale" if your college or university does not use this scale.