NMSCPA/Foundation for Education & Research Scholarships
Sponsor: New Mexico Society of CPAs
Open Date: Jan 01, 2021
Close Date: Mar 31, 2021
Note to Students
Last year, thanks to the generosity of NMSCPA members, the New Mexico Society of CPAs awarded more than $20,000 to accounting students on their way to becoming CPAs. Available scholarships are listed below and range in amounts.
The Society established its Educational Fund on June 29, 1961. As the professional association for CPAs, its membership includes professionals in public accounting, private industry, government and education. The Society promotes the value associated with the CPA designation and strives to attract highly qualified individuals to the profession. Full-time and non-degree students at any qualifying school are eligible for Society scholarships.
W.E. Hammond Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship, established in memory of W. Ernest Hammond by his family, celebrates his dedication to the CPA profession and NMSCPA. Mr. Hammond was a long standing partner in the Albuquerque office of KPMG Peat Marwick. He served as president of the Society from 1939 to 1946. This award is given to an eligible student at any qualifying school.
Sanford Rogoff Memorial Scholarship
First awarded in 2007, this scholarship honors the memory of Sanford Rogoff, a founding member of The Rogoff Firm. His widow, Mrs. Beverly Rogoff, established the memorial fund. This scholarship is given to a recipient who expresses the intention to go into public practice in Albuquerque.
J. Bryan Stephenson Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship memorializes one of New Mexico’s first CPAs. Mr. Stephenson held N.M. Certificate #3 and is remembered through the major contribution of his widow, Mrs. Mary M. Stephenson, and KPMG Peat Marwick William Black Foundation in New York. This scholarship is awarded to a student at the University of New Mexico, who also graduated from a New Mexico high school.
Albuquerque Chapter of CPAs Scholarship
The Albuquerque Chapter of CPAs is the largest of the Society’s six local organizations. It provides activities and programs of specific interest to Albuquerque’s CPAs. The chapter funds a scholarship for students with a permanent home address in the Albuquerque metro area.
Doña Ana Chapter of CPAs Scholarship
The Doña Ana Chapter of CPAs, Las Cruces, offers a scholarship to students who are residents of Doña Ana County majoring in accounting at any college or university in New Mexico.
Women to Watch/Robert Half International Scholarship
Robert Half International is a co-sponsor of the AICPA/NMSCPA Women to Watch program. RHI donates scholarship funds in honor of the Emerging Leader and the Experienced Leader who are selected by the Society Awards Committee. This scholarship is awarded to a female accounting student attending a college or university in New Mexico.
- At the time of application, you must have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours in accounting and 75 hours overall.
- You are eligible to win scholarships from NMSCPA a maximum of three times.
- You must be enrolled in a qualifying university or college in New Mexico.
- You must plan to be enrolled in a qualifying university or college in New Mexico in the fall of 2021 (Aug - Dec 2021).
- You must have an overall GPA of “B” (3.0) or better.
- Entry Level Scholarships - The NMSCPA has set aside a few scholarships for accounting students that have completed 12 - 18 hours of college-level accounting courses. Students who meet all of the general eligibility but have not completed more than 18 hours in accounting will be eligible for these “entry level” scholarships. Students with more than 18 hours in accounting will compete for the “advanced level” scholarships.
- Advanced Scholarships - Reserved for students who have completed 18+ hours of college-level accounting courses at the time of application and meet all of the general eligibility.
Please contact Kelcy@nmscpa.org with any questions.